Monday, July 14, 2008

Slow and Steady

I'd call the first week of work on this thing a success. So far I've cut out the template for the general shape of the jukebox, made the bottom panel and interior spacers and wrapped the front and back panels with two layers of 1/8" hardboard. At this point you can begin to see what the final product will look like.

This week's goals are as follows:

Night 1: New Front Template
The front panel of the jukebox is going to be made out of 1/8" black plexiglass. In order to cut the plexiglass to the proper shape I have to make a template out of 1/2" MDF. Now that I know the final shape of the jukebox I can use my router and a flush cutting bit to make the front template. This template will have three interior holes which must also be cut precise - one for the monitor, one for the marquee and one for the speakers.

Night 2: More of the New Front Template
Realistically, cutting out this template is going to take 2 nights and possibly 3 - there are a lot of tricky cuts and everything must be perfect. On the second night I'm going to focus on cutting out the three holes mentioned above.

Night 3: Cutting the Plexiglass
Finally, after getting the template made, I'll cut the black plexiglass to final dimensions. After the plexiglass is cut, I'll also put a 45 degree bevel on all of the interior edges for decorative purposes. That might be it for this week but I'll keep going if I finish all this stuff early!

No comments: