Friday, July 11, 2008

The Curved Panel

Today I went to Home Depot and bought some 1/8" hardboard. It is bendable but it clearly wasn't made to be bent. I also picked up some extra spring clamps to help me with the glue-up. They were only $0.99 each!

Once the interior pieces were cut I was able to screw everything together to get the general shape of the jukebox. I'm using screws here because once the glue dries from attaching the curved panel I'll be removing the bottom and the interior spacers.

Next I attached the hardboard panel and I was praying that it would bend along the curve without breaking (or putting a serious amount of tension on it). It seems OK so far...

This forms the sides and top of the jukebox - now we are getting somewhere! I'm actually using two 1/8" sheets so the final thickness of the top and side panels will be 1/4" to give it a little more strength. In order to hold everything in place while the glue dries I can finally use those holes I cut out in the front and back panels last night.

Not bad. Once the glue dries I'll use my router and flush bit to even everything out and then glue the second layer of 1/8" material giving me a 1/4" thickness on the curved panel.

No comments: