Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Front and Back Panels

Now that I had a pretty good template, the next step was to use it to make two identical panels. First, I traced the template with a pencil onto 3/4" MDF and cut the panels out with my jigsaw staying about 1/8" outside the line. It is important here to trace ALL sides of the template (don't line up one edge with the straight edge of your MDF). This will ensure that both pieces are identical.

Next, I clamped the template to the top of each of the panels I just cut out and used my router and a pattern bit to make two exact copies of the template. These panels will eventually be the frame for the front and back of the jukebox.

Finally, I cut out eleven (!) 2" holes close to the edge of the front and back panels (what a pain) - these holes will be used for clamping purposes (this will make sense eventually). Next step is making this thing 3D!

No comments: