Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Front Panel: Even More of the Template

I spent about 2 more hours planning and laying out the front panel tonight. It has been difficult getting the "right" proportions. This thing is going to be extremely tight on the inside! I think I've come up with a suitable layout though. I'm not sure if you can see the lines but here's a shot of the front panel all laid out:

The trick was to get a somewhat uniform layout and still have room on the front to include everything. The back of the panel is where all of the clutter is going to be because the monitor and volume knob actually take up more surface area back there due to the mounting screws and other stuff. As I get further along you will see what I mean.

The speaker area is going to be a little tight but I'm planning to use one of those long speaker bars that usually plug into an LCD monitor or something. I will also be putting an "audio out" port on the back so if I want to get some really nice sound I'll be able to hook it up to a receiver.

I'm still waiting on the Griffin Powermate to arrive and I don't want to actually cut the front panel until it gets here so I can be sure my measurements are accurate. I haven't been able to find the diameter of the knob. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow.

No comments: