Sunday, July 27, 2008

Circle Jig: Part 5 (Finished!)

After way too much time working on this thing I am finally ready to start cutting some circles! The circle jig is complete. The last step was to drill a hole in the sliding block for the nail which acts as the pivot pin. Drilling the hole was difficult without a drill press. I bought a drill guide but it was totally useless.

After finishing the jig I had to test it out. First, I drilled a 1/8" hole in a piece of scrap MDF for the pivot pin which acts as the center of the circle.


After placing the pivot pin in the center hole, I laid the jig on top and adjusted the radius of the circle until I had the size I wanted. Then I tightened the screw to keep the sliding block in place.

Next, I turned the router on and plunged the bit into the work piece. Finally, with one hand on the router and the other hand on the jig near the pivot pin to keep everything in place, I used the jig to cut out a circle!

Easy! Now I can get back to working on my jukebox - it's about time!

No comments: