Saturday, August 23, 2008

Front Panel: Return of the Template

Here's where it starts to get fun (sort of - more on that in a bit)! I finally got my hands on a Griffin Powermate (which will control the volume of the jukebox once it is up and running) so I was able to take the measurement of the knob [1-11/16"] and make sure the openings for the marquee, monitor and speakers were laid out properly.

This part of the project is very very complicated. Not only do I have to cut out the openings but after I use the template to cut the 1/8" black plexiglass (which will be the front face of the jukebox), I have to remove additional material behind the openings in order for the monitor, marquee and speakers to fit. This is going to be especially tricky for the monitor because the mounting brackets are at a different height so I'll have to set the depth of my router to be as precise as possible.

The first section to cut out must be the curved marquee opening. In order to cut out the curves perfectly you need a pivot point for the circle cutting jig to turn on. If you cut out the monitor opening first there won't be any place for the pivot point!

In order to cut this opening accurately, I use my router, a 1/2" dado bit, a straight edge and my circle jig. It was quite complicated to set everything up and I had to make 4 passes with the dado bit removing about 1/8" at a time to cut through the 1/2" MDF.

I really like working out in the garage with the radio on or whatever but I was at the end of my rope the past two nights. I messed this up on my first try - I couldn't seem to control the router properly. I lost about 4 hours worth of work from Friday night that I had to make up today.

Here is what the panel looks like attached to shell. Pretty cool!

Tomorrow I'll cut the remaining openings which should be a bit easier since they are just two rectangles. Still, I have to be extra careful because I don't want to have to do all this over again!

No comments: