Now I'm getting somewhere... I FINALLY cut the hole for the volume knob and got everything installed.
I used a step drill bit and cut out a 7/8" hole where the volume knob goes. As I explained in another post, I am using a Griffin Powermate for the knob and the guts. All that I had to do was drill a hole big enough so the guts of the knob would fit through but I had to be sure it was smaller than the spacer I created. I also had to worry about the knob being dead center (which is harder than it sounds) because this would be the focal point of the entire juke.
Here is a shot of the hole completely drilled out:
After drilling out the hole I had to use a file to remove a little more material to get the guts of the knob to fit properly. The next step was to put the spacer in place and trace it with a pencil so I would know how much of the protective paper I could remove. Once that was done, I used a two part epoxy for plastic to bond the spacer to the front panel.
The epoxy I used set in 6 minutes (less actually) and I was able to remove the clamp fairly quick and install everything. here are some shots without the knob in place:
This is what it looks like with the knob installed.
This last shot I tried to get head on so you could see how I managed to get the knob dead center but the flash was messing everything up. Oh well.
I can't wait to remove the brown protective paper but you should be able to tell what it will look like when I finally do.