Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Computer Installation II

After installing the monitor and shelf in place, I made sure to get the computer up and running before putting the rest of the components inside.

After that was finished (and I played around for a while), the next step was making sure the motherboard and power supply fit properly. I placed the motherboard on one side (using PCB feet) and the hard drive on the other (using velcro) and tried installing the vertical shelf.

Unfortunately, my initial attempt didn't work - there wasn't enough room for the power supply and the frontx cables I was planning on using weren't long enough to reach to the back panel with the motherboard ports facing to the right. I ended up having to face the motherboard ports down towards the bottom and move the motherboard off center to the right to make room for the power supply.

I was worried initially that since the ports were facing down and the whole thing was off-center that the fan underneath wouldn't keep things cool but boy was I wrong. After leaving it on for at least 6 hours it was cool as the other side of the pillow in there.

Here is the power supply in place:

More later!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there man, I have to say that I am really enjoying all of your blogs. Great workmanship, great use of colorful language (I believe this goes along with great woodworking skills), and overall just fun reads. I stumbled onto this over at Lifehacker.com. A guy there has configured his desktop as a killer interface that shows album art, lyrics, and everything for his music. Thought it would be awesome on your setup.

http://lifehacker.com/5097315/the-now-playing-dashboard

Also has some links to the guys own software called "Album Art Downloader" http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/ that he wrote to download hi-res album covers. Thought it could augment your system. Thanks again for sharing this with the world!

- Chris

Unknown said...

After reading some nice stuff in your article I really feel speechless, because it is quit pretty article. Beside this it is also a long lasting article. Thanks for giving me such type of useful information..
Jukeboxes